Nov 27, 2007

An Yemenite Jewish dance troupe


A video performance from an Yemenite Jewish dance troupe. A colorful display of Jewish cultural variety. May be you can get them to perform at your Jewish wedding. That would be an incredible wedding shtick.

Yemeni Jews singing and dancing: A performance of the Yemenite Troupe
.

Here is a "simple" translation of the Yemeni Dialect part--I need help with the Hebrew part (some words are translated based on the way the performers pronounce them, which is in some parts "questionable").

Note: the words in parentheses are added for clarification:

Down (the hill or mountain) I went
To the stream
To water my horse--
My foot slipped
And I fell into the water.

I went to propose (engagement)
But they rejected me,
(and) my "qat" (a stimulant)
And the "mada3ah" (water-pipe)
Although I'm the son of a Chief
The son of a Jew.

I went to propose
Carrying my qat and the mada3ah
But the bad guys
Made a fool of me.

Sweet heart and the apple of my eye
Tell those who made you
Think bad of me:
Who of you would entertain me?

From the early dawn
She got angry with me
And went cry--
Got angry--oh darkness (of the night)

Out of sight is my beloved.
For a year and two months,
Never returned.
Alas people
She left
And deserted me.

To whom shall I complain,
And would understand me?
Before whom shall I cry,
And would pity me?
And who of you
Would entertain me.

No comments: